Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Flunking Social Media Background Checks

Mat Honan of Gizmodo flunked his Social Media Background Check.

I'm pretty sure that I would pass since I have walked the straight and narrow since getting married and having children and there is a seven year threshold. Social Intelligence searches public media to build their report, and excludes several issues that cause major HR problems.

I have to agree with Honan, "...ultimately the bottom line, and my takeaway, is that these kind of services actually make a lot of sense. Employers would have to be stupid not to Google job candidates. Yet it's better for both the employer and the candidate to have a disinterested third-party do full-scrape background checks."

But, I still have reservations. I wonder how many smaller companies will take this method and try to run searches on their own. What would they find out about me? What would they infer from the posts made by my friends and family? Where is the line between private activities and private conversation and pre-employment discovery?

No comments:

Post a Comment