Tuesday, October 25, 2011

No longer is the "I forgot" excuse a valid thing to say.

Most users of facebook these days get on the site two or three times a day on average. Facebook reminds us when people have birthdays, special events and many other things that in the past people would forget about. Everyday facebook reminds us of which friends have birthdays or if someone has invited us to an event. Gone are the days when we had to remember these certain events. Most people get reminders or alerts on their phone and that includes birthdays. Just the other day someone asked me why I didn't tell them happy birthday and when I replied "I forgot" that person immediately asked how that could happen with facebook. I couldn't even say I didn't get on facebook that day because I had posted a status visible for anyone I am friends with to see. Some people might consider it a bad thing but why? Whats wrong with having constant reminders about what is going on with your friends and loved one's. Most people wouldn't even know what to do with out this and they might forget a special event or a birthday of someone close to them.

4 comments:

  1. The birthday updates have saved me a lot of trouble. I would have no idea when my friends or families birthdays were unless I checked Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the birthday notifications has made me dependent on fb for remembering birthdays. but sometimes it makes me feel like fb makes birthdays not as special as they used to be, like getting the generic "Happy Birthday! :)" from 100 people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the increase in alerts and reminders is a byproduct of the amount of people one person, on average, is networking on a daily basis. Because of social media and other important drivers, have allowed people to know and communicate with more people then one could image without these types of tools. Moreover, the ability to access these resources plays a big factor as well. For example, there is a story of a famous bum and the only reason he is famous is because he has access to Facebook. Point is, we are connecting in infinite ways, infinite time a day, which is causing the average person to remember more birthdays, events, parties, etc. I don't mean to water down the argument being made but the law of relativity, in most situations, is playing a large role in this situation.

    ReplyDelete