Tuesday, October 18, 2011

iOS 5 claims its first victim(s)

Technology has made it easier than ever for the insecure and paranoid to feed their own delusions. Apple's newest firmware, iOS 5, provides the easiest tool yet in the app called "Find My Friends". This app, when activated, allows select friends to find your location on a map using GPS technology. I understand the uses of this feature, but I see far too many downsides for it to gain many users.

In the article linked below, a husband who suspects his wife of cheating surreptitiously installs and activates the app to allow him to track her movements. He catches her in a lie about her whereabouts and presumes that she is cheating on him.

While this marriage is beyond saving, I think it's important to take a step back as technology consumers and look at the ways we can prevent this kind of paranoid spying from undermining our own relationships. This issue can best be addressed with communication. I mean real communication, not Skype, or Facetime, or text messaging, or email, but sitting down with someone and TALKING to them. Communication is the most important tool for building and maintaining relationships and technology can hinder and facilitate this act at the same time.

Respect the power of technology and remember that being in a relationship is hard work.

Also, don't cheat. That is also a good tip.

To those that choose to ignore my sound advice, happy hunting!

Source: [9to5 Mac]

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree ten fold. I mean, call me crazy but sometimes I don't wanna be on anyone's radar and an app like that sounds more like an invasion of privacy than anything else. the only way I would see this condoned by the masses is in locating criminals or missing/kidnapped children etc. And people have to be smart enough to know that social media is NOT a replacement for human contact and face to face communication. I like to hear it when people who use social media also want to meet you first before they become a friend. I have to agree with the poster of the article, there are too many downsides to this kind of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I REALLY like this. Then again, half the time my husband doesn't hear his phone and the other half, it's out of juice. Do you know how frustrating that is? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noosh, this technology eventually helping to find missing people is a cool way to look at it. But would that mean we would have to get implanted with microchips or something? I think this app is pretty creepy. If someone wants you to know where they are, they will text or call to tell you. Otherwise...this takes stalking to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete