Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Social Media and 9/11/01

On 9/11/01 I was a senior in high school. The social media that were available than were different types of messengers. That day the first reports were viewed as rumors not real. I am not sure if social media would have helped or hindered on that day. I know that it would haved some of the international students to be able to get in contact with their patenrts quicker. I would have liked to have been able to send my family in Texas a message that I was safe. But it was nice that my brother was able to get a hold of me by phone.

In some ways I think it was good thar people were able to call their families and left a messages to say good-bye. I was on the East coast when 9/11 happened and for a while during and after communication was spotty at best. The internet was over loaded and cell phones couldn't handle the on slot of calls. So then maybe social media could have benefitted us that horrible day.I am more and more on both sides of the coin.

This article discusses what if's of social media on 9/11/01.
http://betanews.com/2011/09/11/there-was-no-facebook-twitter-or-youtube-on-9-11/

1 comment:

  1. I never really thought about this, but its really chilling to think about how crazy social media outlets would have been had 9/11 happened when things such as Facebook and Twitter were really popular! If we thought the news of Osama's death was blowing up our newsfeeds, I bet the events of 9/11 would have stirred up alot of trends on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete