Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"I Mean We Aren't FBO or Anything..."

While growing up, I remember having an admiration for all the movies and stories that involved the romantic idea of a random introduction between two people, and the fact that the guy would always spontaneously show up with a boombox outside the girl's window to win her heart, or even to a boat dock seconds before her ship sailed, they lived happily ever after, etc. As I got older, I started to notice how guys would not talk to me in person as thorough as they would via text messaging, and simple phone calls had even become scarce. Now in this day and age, what is considered to be a serious relationship has given many people the option to become lazy, to be deceitful, and even open to heartbreak. By this I mean that a person may get overly excited when a person consistently texts them for more than a few days, and automatically jump to the assumption that they are now "talking", which means the step before people start openly dating, but aren't seeing anyone else, or so many are led to believe. Then the anxiety and obsession comes along, which causes people to constantly push refresh on their FaceBook page, hoping for a picture comment or a cheesey love song linked to their wall. Then here comes the next problem, FBO (FaceBook offiicial). If the relationship cannot be posted front page of the internet, then your relationship will fail and isn't a real relationship. This way of thinking absolutely baffles me and I really don't know what to think about it. To me, this is the same thing of first meeting someone and saying, "Hi I'm Kayla, but you might as well not even shake my hand because I have a boyfriend." Who says that within the first 5 minutes of an introduction anyway? I just feel like the purpose of FaceBook has changed dramatically and people are becoming way too drastic when using this particular social media. It's supposed to be fun, entertaining, and informative, not stressful and ruining someone's entire week because no one liked their new profile picture or the guy you friend requested has yet to accept it.

3 comments:

  1. It's good to know that FBO is now the top relationship status

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your opinion that the whole publicity of a relationship on facebook can be ridiculous sometimes. But as unromantic as it seems, it can seem pretty romantic in this day and age for a person to make it publicly known that they are OFFICIALLY in a relationship and share such intimate stuff on their news feed. Even though it can get really old really fast when I have friends who ONLY post things about their significant other, it kind of settles my mind when I see someone is FBO with someone else who I've noticed their relationship with, but I was unsure of what they considered it as... It just helps clear up the grey in dating in college. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you aren't FBO you aren't together! lol This is ridiculous to think, but its totally true.

    ReplyDelete